[Attempto] Uses of ACE Attempto product base

Patrick Forkin pm4kin at gmx.net
Sat Sep 18 18:00:01 CEST 2010

attempto_list_email_170910

email to: attempto at lists.ifi.uzh.ch
email from: P. Forkin <pm4kin at gmx.net>
date: Friday 17 Sept 2010
subject: Uses of ACE Attempto product base

Hallo!

I am writing my request in English, although I live in Germany and have some skill in German.

I am impressed with the concept of "controlled English" and as a result with Attempto.

I would like to understand, beyond the ability to translate from ACE into Prolog, if any work is being undertaken, or projects have been set in place, to realise opportunities, to use it in other areas.

I am interested in its potential use as:

1. A generalised interface to translate ACE structures into other languages, such as Python, Lisp or CLIPS.
2. The creation of a LINUX Shell product based on ACE.
3. The use of ACE in a text notation database environment.

I am constructing a translation model to translate phrases from English into German. Operational is a platform based on sentence segmentation, phrase type markup and translation using a dictionary and glossaries I am building.

The dictionary has the following key characteristics:
1. Basic word list of circa 2.000 'general' words plus ca. 1.000 'topic' words. (Final version will have ~ 50.000 entries).
2. Glossaries with today some 5.000 terms, finally ~ 20,000.
3. A phrase notation database used in markup and as an aid to the translation process.

The dictionary is constructed from the words used on my desktop.
The glossaries have been constructed using simple freeware text analysis tools, which will be extended by ngram data gathered using Python scripts.

The ability to use an appropriately designed and usable Shell scripting product based on ACE would not only simplify the work I am doing but also make LINUX a more end-user friendly operating system base.

Has what I have written made sense to the list mmbers who will read this?

If more information on selected items would be of interest, I can make it available.

What I intend to do is to list for each application use, the steps for each task list in logical chronoilogical order, and described so that they can be viewed as potential simple executable scripts. Work of this kind is a rarity in any application project.

As an addendum I should add that my goal has been to create applications using the concept of a work-space within a texteditor framework, using executable task-step related scripts called from the work-space. That goal is being achieved.

Regards, P. Forkin