[Attempto] Uses of ACE Attempto product base

Tobias Kuhn kuhntobias at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:54:38 CEST 2010

Hi Patrick,

> I would like to understand, beyond the ability to translate from ACE into Prolog, if any work is being undertaken, or projects have been set in place, to realise opportunities, to use it in other areas.

Note that ACE texts are not translated into Prolog programs, but just
into a representation that can be expressed as Prolog terms. But there
is also an XML representation.

> I am interested in its potential use as:
>
> 1. A generalised interface to translate ACE structures into other languages, such as Python, Lisp or CLIPS.

Do you ask for another ACE parser implemented in another programming
language like Python, or should ACE texts be translated into Python
programs? These are two completely different issues.

> 2. The creation of a LINUX Shell product based on ACE.

See the ACE parser "APE" that can be downloaded on the Attempto page.

> I am constructing a translation model to translate phrases from English into German. Operational is a platform based on sentence segmentation, phrase type markup and translation using a dictionary and glossaries I am building.

You should have a look at the work of Aarne Ranta, especially his
Grammatical Framework (GF). For example the following paper:

http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-448/paper3.pdf

Cheers,
Tobias