[Attempto] New repository for ACE prolog code ?

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 18:36:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

2010/9/21 Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com>:

> After talking with Norbert at CNL 2010, it seems that it is time to setup a
> new source repository for the ACE prolog core code.

I think it's a good idea. It could contain:

* APE
* Attempto Java Packages
* Regression tests for APE (currently not public)
* APE API usage examples (currently not public)
* Documentation (currently available only on the Attempto website)

> While migrating to a new repository, it's important to preserve history of
> changes (changes logs), because this is the memory of the project. This will
> be an important criterium to choose a host for the new repository. We need
> to import the whole repository changes database. I have to check where this
> is possible. For this, I need to know which tool the current repository uses
> (CVS, Subversion, git, Bazaar, Mercury, ...).

APE currently uses Subversion. The history goes back to July 2006,
i.e. not all the way back to 1995 when the Attempto project started. ;)
I'm not sure that keeping all the history is that useful, although
it would be nice. The history might actually contain sensitive info
that we would not like to make public.

I've been so far happy with Subversion and Google Code, but I'm
not familiar with other source control systems and hosts.
With a larger set of developers we might profit from fancier
branching/merging support offered by Git, Mercurial and other similar systems.

Greetings from Xi'an,
Kaarel