[Attempto] New repository for ACE prolog code ?

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:55:25 CEST 2010

Hi all

After talking with Norbert at CNL 2010, it seems that it is time to setup a
new source repository for the ACE prolog core code.

Indeed soon no student will be working on ACE at the University of Zürich,
and the University has no rights on this code, and the current source
repository at the University of Zürich does not allow other contributors.

So the project will be more like an classic Open Source project, with a
public repository, non regression tests, bug reports, roadmap, etc. I'm sure
that, given the modularity of the code base, it is possible for ACE both to
be both a platform for research, and a tool for real business projects.

I propose to setup that new source repository.

Then let's decide together who will be the administrator of the
source repository, do the releases, accept new developers, etc; that is be
the project leader. I guess Norbert will want to continue this role.

For me, I'm mainly now a user, but I'm interested in enhancing the OWL+SWRL
translator, especially for the algebraic formulas and importing OWL
ontologies to reuse their classes and properties in ACE sentences.

While migrating to a new repository, it's important to preserve history of
changes (changes logs), because this is the memory of the project. This will
be an important criterium to choose a host for the new repository. We need
to import the whole repository changes database. I have to check where this
is possible. For this, I need to know which tool the current repository uses
(CVS, Subversion, git, Bazaar, Mercury, ...). Then we can choose among
SourceForce, LaunchPad, Google, or others why not. There is also CodeHaus,
and certainly others. Personally I can adapt to any provider; but on the
other hand I prefer one of those large free providers for OSS projects over
a privately administered server, because it's more reliable.

AceWiki is on LaunchPad, with Bazaar SCM.

The ACE View <http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview> source code is hosted by
Google Code, with Subversion SCM.

My projects are on SourceForge, with Subversion SCM.

I just asked on the Sourceforge IRC, and the import is possible for
Subversion, CVS, Git, Bazaar or Mercurial.

What do you think ?
--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,