[Attempto] Statement id in article

Changyuan Yu reivzy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 04:00:53 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Tobias Kuhn <kuhntobias at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an important point. It is more fundamental than it seems at first
> sight. In order to find a consistent way how to identify sentences, we need
> to have a clear idea of what a sentence is. Some questions that have to be
> answered:
>
> - When a sentence is changed, does the changed sentence have the same
> identity as the original one?
> - When a sentence is moved (within or across articles), does the moved
> sentence have the same identity as the original one?
> - Are sentences with the same text identical? ... if they are on the same
> article? ... if they are on different articles?
> - When a sentence is copied (not yet implemented) is the new sentence
> identical to the existing sentence or do we get two sentence instances?
>
> I don't have answers to these questions at this point, but it's something
> that requires careful consideration.
>

> Tobias
>

> On 09.12.2011 13:21, Changyuan Yu wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>   As I understand, now I can only refer to a statement in an article
>> with its position. The position of a statement will change over time,
>> so it can not specify an statement in RESTful service (currently I
>> just use position). I think we should assign an unique id to each
>> statement in an article.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Changyuan

As far as I know, the sentence itself is a independent statement, it
has the same meaning regardless of which article it belongs to, so I
think the statement should has a unique id across articles.

Here is opinion about the statement:
1. each statement has an unique id in the wiki.
2. article does only have a list statement ids, and does not contain
any statement.
3. so, modify statement has nothing to do with article, and move
article within or between articles only need to chang the ids in its
statement id list.
4. Add a statement should be in 2 step, first add a statement, then
add its id to an article, and delete a statement should be in reverse
order.

So, I give my answer to these questions:

- When a sentence is changed, does the changed sentence have the same
identity as the original one?
I think the id should keep unchanged.

- When a sentence is moved (within or across articles), does the moved
sentence have the same identity as the original one?
Yes.

- Are sentences with the same text identical? ... if they are on the
same article? ... if they are on different articles?
Whether with a same id or not is both OK. If they have same id, then
when modify one's content, another one also changed. If they has
different id, then we can think they are two different statement just
with same content.

- When a sentence is copied (not yet implemented) is the new sentence
identical to the existing sentence or do we get two sentence
instances?
There are two kind of operations, one is actual copy(like clone method
in java), so we should give new statement a different id; another is
add a reference(like assignment in java), we just add the id to the
article's statement id list.

--
Best regards,
Changyuan