[Attempto] Statement id in article

Tobias Kuhn kuhntobias at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:16:14 CET 2011

Hi all,

On 13.12.2011 12:27, Changyuan Yu wrote:
> The 'ID' here is just the
> representation of an java object, which has nothing to do with its
> actual meaning. So what I proposal is much simpler than you think.

I agree that we need IDs for statements at some point, but it should be
a conceptually sound and consistent solution. Having IDs representing
Java objects or something similar is not a good idea, I think.

At the moment, the following solution is my favorite one: Two sentences
are identical (i.e. have the same ID) if and only if they have the same
textual representation in the internal format, like "Every <23,1> is a
<5,1>" where "<A,B>" stands for word number A in word form B. Since this
would be a one-to-one mapping, the question is why we need an ID at all.
The textual representation could be used as ID, or maybe a hash value
thereof. An article is a list of sentences, and an open question would
be whether this list can contain duplicates. In any case, we have to
distinuish between a sentence instance and a sentence occurrence: A
certain sentence instance can occur in multiple articles in the same wiki.

On 12.12.2011 17:25, David Whitten wrote:
> Similarly, the words in a sentence have a relationship to each other.  Since the associated values of the words are dependent upon the location in the paragraph where the sentence is found, if the sentence is no longer the n-th sentence in the paragraph, then the values of those words cannot be said to be the same.  Another aspect is that the values of other words in the paragraph may no longer have the same associated values because the sentence is no longer the n-th sentence of the paragraph.

I am not sure whether I understand your point. In AceWiki, the sentences
are independent from each other. No anaphoric references to other
sentences are allowed, except via proper names. In this sense, moving a
sentence within or across articles, does not change the meaning, at
least from the point of view of the reasoner.

On 12.12.2011 17:25, David Whitten wrote:
> PPS: Tobias, did we meet each other in early summer 2003 in Zurich at
> the Uni ?  I came by and met several of the Attempto folks then.

I don't think so. I started to work for the Attempto group only in 2004,
just a bit too late to meet you... :)

Regards,
Tobias