[Attempto] An error in paraphrase module

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:35:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 14:06, Pierre-Alexandre Voye
<ontologiae at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got an error in the paraphrase module, although the DRS output is good.
> Maybe it's normal, I don't know.
> Here the sentence I gave to APE :
> if Agent1 learns that Agent2 says hello then Agent1's goal is hello.
>
> The parameters was :  -cparaphrase2 -cdrs -guess -cdrspp

as Jean-Marc pointed out, in your sentence 'hello' is once interpreted
as a proper name and once as an adjective. Is this really what you
intended? Note that the unknown word guesser does not require that an
unknown word always comes from the same word class.

The paraphraser does not have complete support for sentence
subordination (constructs like "learns that"). I don't remember all
the details now but if the sentence subordination is embedded in an
if-then sentence then neither paraphraser (paraphrase1 and
paraphrase2) can handle it. Also, your example asks for paraphrase2,
which covers a much smaller fragment of ACE than paraphrase1, e.g.
paraphrase2 doesn't handle Saxon genitive (Agent1's).

--
kaarel