[Attempto] An error in paraphrase module

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Fri Jun 3 08:22:25 CEST 2011

On 2 Jun 2011, at 14:06, Pierre-Alexandre Voye wrote:

> Hello,
> I got an error in the paraphrase module, although the DRS output is good. Maybe it's normal, I don't know.
> Here the sentence I gave to APE :
> if Agent1 learns that Agent2 says hello then Agent1's goal is hello.
>
> The parameters was :  -cparaphrase2 -cdrs -guess -cdrspp

Pierre-Alexandre

APE's word guessing tries to assign unknown words to word classes so that a syntactically correct sentence is created. APE does this individually meaning that your two occurrences of "hello" are assigned to two different word classes. Probably you did not intend this. Independently from word guessing APE tries to assign unknown words starting with a capital letter – like your Agent1 – to proper names.

May I suggest that you avoid word guessing and instead express your intended meaning directly in ACE? Also recall that common nouns need determiners.

Do I assume correctly that your "hello" should be a string? If yes, how about

If an agent A1 learns that an agent A2 says "hello" then A1's goal is "hello".

that APE accepts without any problem.

Regards.