[Attempto] Using ACE to create SWRL rules

Dilvan Moreira dilvan at icmc.usp.br
Wed May 11 21:35:39 CEST 2011

   Hi,

   We are developing a plugin for Web-Protege to allow the edition of SWRL
rules (a joint project with the Protege Group at Stanford University). There
are 3 ways to enter or display a rule: text, a tree with rule atoms and
icons representing rule parts. We would like also to add a verbalization
mode using ACE.
   I installed the ACE View plugin in Protege 4.1 but we cannot see the
Autism ontology and its rules in it. The ontology is
http://purl.org/autism-ontology/1.0/autism-phenologue-rules.owl

   We don't know what is happening, but we guess that:

   1. The ontology is too big for ACE View or
   2. The fact that the rules use SWRL built-in functions is causing
   problems

   Any ideas?

   We actually just need to write rules in ACE and see them translated to
OWL/SWRL and back again (we want to use ACE as a language to
allow psychiatrists knowledgable in autism but not OWL to edit/view rules).
We do not need to have the whole ontology translated to ACE (or any
reasoning using ACE). Maybe we are taking the wrong approach, trying to load
the ontology using ACE View. Can anyone point us to a better solution?

   Cheers,

Dilvan de Abreu Moreira, Ph.D.     dilvan at gmail.com
http://java.icmc.usp.br
Warning: I use a spam filter, some emails sent to me CAN be lost!