[Attempto] Using ACE to create SWRL rules

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:28:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 21:35, Dilvan Moreira <dilvan at icmc.usp.br> wrote:
>    I installed the ACE View plugin in Protege 4.1 but we cannot see the
> Autism ontology and its rules in it. The ontology
> is http://purl.org/autism-ontology/1.0/autism-phenologue-rules.owl
>    We don't know what is happening, but we guess that:
>
> The ontology is too big for ACE View or
> The fact that the rules use SWRL built-in functions is causing problems

This ontology is loaded/verbalized in 40 seconds on my humble i3 with
4 GB of RAM. Of course, you need to have have the OWL verbalizer
installed locally, otherwise it could be very slow. Could this be the
problem?

The OWL verbalizer does not support SWRL rules and certain type of
data property axioms. This is why many of the axioms in this ontology
are not verbalized in ACE and are presented simply in Manchester
Syntax.

>    We actually just need to write rules in ACE and see them translated to
> OWL/SWRL and back again (we want to use ACE as a language to
> allow psychiatrists knowledgable in autism but not OWL to edit/view rules).

ACE View supports translating ACE sentences to SWRL. This mapping
doesn't cover SWRL completely, e.g. many SWRL built-ins are not
supported, i.e. they don't have a direct counterpart in ACE. So I
don't know if the supported fragment is sufficient for psychiatrists.

ACE View _does not_ support translating SWRL rules into ACE. It would
be nice to have this feature but at the moment there are no plans to
add this.

Looking at your rules I don't actually see how automatically
converting them into ACE would help the domain expert, because such a
mapping would still preserve the names e.g. "createOWLThing" which
come from the domain of OWL:

ADI-2003(?a), ADI_2003_funccom_cinsges(?a, ?score),
ADI_2003_interview_date(?a, ?date), SubjectKey(?a, ?subjectID),
createOWLThing(?phenorecord, ?qv), createOWLThing(?phenorecord,
?subjectID) -> 'Phenotype record'(?phenorecord), 'Quantitative
value'(?qv), subject_has_quality_or_disposition(?phenorecord, 'Current
conventional or instrumental gestures phenotype'),
hasValidTime(?phenorecord, ?date), 'has measurement'(?phenorecord,
?qv), 'has value'(?qv, ?score), 'is derived from'(?phenorecord,
"MeasureCurrentConventionalGestures"^^string), subjectId(?phenorecord,
?subjectID)

--
kaarel