[Attempto] Using ACE to create SWRL rules

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:57:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 15:08, Dilvan Moreira <dilvan at gmail.com> wrote:

> We would still need to work with ontologies in OWL (rules in ACE).

I guess that would be possible but, in general, the philosophy that
ACE->OWL/SWRL tries to implement is that users should not be exposed
to the difference between OWL and SWRL, i.e. users should only see
natural English which is converted in the background into a mixture of
OWL and SWRL for the computer.

> We would need some mechanism to map SWRL built-ins such
> as createOWLThing (maybe ACE would allow some imperative command: "Create
> thing that ...") .

createOWLThing is not a SWRL buit-in. I suspect it's a Protege SWRLTab
extension, see:

* http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/#8
* http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLExtensionsBuiltIns

Note that using imperative sentences in if-then sentences is currently
not possible in ACE, i.e. you can say (1) but not (2):

(1) Robot, create a thing!
(2) If there is no thing then Robot, create a thing!

--
kaarel