[Attempto] "How many" test

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Tue Apr 17 10:02:06 CEST 2012

On 17 Apr 2012, at 1:45 , Theodore H. Smith wrote:

> John is a person.
> John has 5 red apples.
> John has 3 blue apples.
> if an apple is red then the apple is not blue.
> if an apple is blue then the apple is not red.
>
> Query: "how many apples does John have?"
>
> Result:
> 	• 2: John has 5 red apples.
> 	• Substitution: how many = (at least 5) apple
>
> I made the test a little bit hard. It has to realise that, red apples are not blue apples. I don't know how important this is, or how hard it is to do, so I can't say that we should expect attempto to know its at least 8 apples.
>
> If anything, the fact that attempto can tell me John has at least 5 apples impresses me.

Theodore

When you look at the result you will notice that only axiom 2 seems to have been used. In fact, RACE finds all solutions fulfilling the query and then selects the one with the maximal cardinality. (By the way, axioms 1, 4 and 5 are not used.)

Changing the query to the more specific "How many blue apples does John have?" you get the result

	• 3: John has 3 blue apples.
	• Substitution: how many = (at least 3) apple

Regards.