[Attempto] Doubt in RACE

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Thu Apr 19 18:34:27 CEST 2012

On 19 Apr 2012, at 15:33 , Ananya Poddar wrote:

> ... However, when I am changing it to:
>
> Axioms: p:Delhi is a city. It is located in p:India.
>
> Query: Where is p:Delhi located?
>

> The error that is given is:
>
> Query cannot be answered from axioms.

Dear Ananya Poddar

Let's have a closer look at your axioms by submitting them to the Attempto Parsing Engine APE (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ape/).

APE generates the following paraphrase

There is a city X1.
Delhi is the city X1.
The city X1 is located in India.

indicating that your sentence "It is located in India." is interpreted as "The city is located in India.", and not as you assumed as "Delhi is located in India.".

Anaphoric references like "it" always refer to the textually closest preceding noun phrase, in this case to "a city". For further information please have a look at section 8 "Anaphoric References" of the document "ACE 6.6 Interpretation Rules" (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ace_interpretationrules.html).

Taking this into account, I rephrase your example and now get

You may want to rephrase your example differently.

Best regards.

Norbert E. Fuchs
Department of Informatics & Institute of Computational Linguistics
University of Zurich