[Attempto] Can attempto describe this?

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Fri Jul 13 18:06:03 CEST 2012

On 13 Jul 2012, at 14:23 , Theodore H. Smith wrote:

> "How can someone fall so far, without realising it?"
>
> It's a tricky one. But it is very a interesting description that uses some important concepts to humans.
>
> I attempted to break down the sentance into parts, and then recombine the parts:
>
> 	* I could not find how to do: "so far" or "so anything"
>
> 	* I found this works: "how can someone fall?"
>
> 	* didn't work: "how can someone fall far?"
> 		I couldn't find how to use adjectives on the verb: "how can someone fall quickly?"
>
> 	* "Without" seems to use nouns?
> 		works: "Fred runs without Mary."
> 		error: "Fred runs without thinking."
>
> So how can I describe the concept "X1 fell so far, without X1 realising X1 fell so far"?

Theodore

Here is an ACE version of your sentence

  Does someone not realize that he can fall a:so-far?

The standard ACE lexicon contain the adverb "far", but not "so far".  Note, that I need to hyphenate "so far" since ACE does not know multiwords, and need to prefix "so-far" by "a:" to declare it as an adverb.

I also tried "How does someone not realize that he can fall a:so-far?" but this was not accepted. There are possibly other versions that come closer to your original sentence.

Regards.