[Attempto] (How?) Can attempto describe these concepts?

Joshua TAYLOR tayloj at cs.rpi.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:19:47 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Theodore H. Smith <delete at elfdata.com> wrote:
> Here are some concepts that I'm not sure how attempto can describe.
> "In order to drive a car, you must have your hands on the steering wheel"
> This "Concept", is that in order to do something (a verb, like drive/fly/draw/etc), you must be a certain "state" to do this.
> "in order to kick a ball, you must balance your body"
> "in order to run a marathon, you must drink a lot of water"
> This "concept", is that in order to do something, you must also do something else. So it's not a "State" like in the previous concept, but an "action".
> Can these concepts be described in attempto? Sorry, if my question is ignorant of attempto.
> If not, then... can these be described in... "discourse representation structures", or "first order logic" or whatever you are using to describe stuff.

The following three sentences are all valid ACE.  Are these along the
lines of what you were thinking?

If a person drives a car then the person must have its hands on the
car's n:steering-wheel.
Every person who kicks a ball must balance its body.
If a person runs a marathon then the person must drink two liters.

//JT

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/