[Attempto] Output formats of APE

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 08:22:08 CET 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch> wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2013, at 13:35 , Huan Nguyen <huan.nguyentuong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have another concern about the ACE editor. I notice there is a demo for ACE editor on your website. I am wondering if there is any editor (for normal sentences, not just for ontology) similar to the Protege editor for Manchester OWL Syntax?, for instance, the syntax is checked while a sentence being typed in?
>
> [...]
>
>> Also, can you pls let me know if currently there is any other ACE editor which is more comprehensive and embeddable into another program (i.e. Java program)?
>
> Again, this may not be what you want, but APE also comes with a Java interface.

in the Attempto group, we have looked into two ways of doing
look-ahead editing with ACE:

  - Codeco grammar (described in Tobias' PhD thesis)
  - Grammatical Framework (http://www.grammaticalframework.org/)

In both cases you define the subset of ACE in the respective formalism
and get a grammar engine in return, which you can call e.g. from Java.
The grammar engine lists all the possible tokens that can follow the
given partial sentence. The grammar engine just checks if the syntax
is correct, it does not generate the DRS. For that you would still
need to call APE, e.g. via APE's Java interface (i.e. you need to have
SWI-Prolog installed).

We have implemented 3 grammars, for 3 different subsets of ACE:

  - ACE Editor grammar (Codeco, see:
https://github.com/AceWiki/AceWiki/blob/master/src/ch/uzh/ifi/attempto/aceeditor/aceeditor_grammar.pl)
  - AceWiki grammar (Codeco, see:
https://github.com/AceWiki/AceWiki/blob/master/src/ch/uzh/ifi/attempto/acewiki/aceowl/acewiki_grammar.pl)
  - ACE-in-GF (GF, see: https://github.com/Attempto/ACE-in-GF)

The AceWiki grammar and ACE-in-GF cover the OWL-compatible subset of
ACE. The ACE Editor grammar covers a lot more, e.g. more word classes.
ACE-in-GF allows some overgeneration, e.g. it does not check if the
anaphoric references fulfill the DRS accessibility constraints.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to extend these grammars to cover
more and match your needs, but of course you must verify somehow that
you stay within ACE, i.e. that the DRS conversion always works.

Best,
Kaarel