[Attempto] Installation bugs...?

Vijay Saraswat vijay at saraswat.org
Fri Jan 17 12:57:16 CET 2014

Greetings --

Just installed APE6.7-131003 on a Mac OS X 10.8.5 laptop, and am running
examples, but took me a while, so I thought I would let you know the
problems I faced.

(1) README.md says:

In order to compile and run APE, you first need to install a recent
version of SWI-Prolog.
SWI-Prolog is free software and can be downloaded from
<http://www.swi-prolog.org>. Note that you
minimally need to install the following SWI Prolog packages: `clib`,
`sgml`, and `http`. To view
the documentation embedded in the source files you also need `pldoc`.

However, in the latest version of SWI-Prolog it seems that clib, sgml
and http are already loaded. In fact they are not even listed in the
list of packages on the SWI-Prolog website.

(2) README.md says:

Then type `ape.exe` in the case of Windows or
`./ape.exe` otherwise. As a result, you should see the following output:

Not true. On my machine i get nothing output (see the shell command
prompt). ./ape.exe -version produces the desired output.

(3) The -text command line option does not work. I get

  ./ape.exe -text 'John walks.'
ERROR: Illegal argument: arglist_namevaluelist/2: John walks.
bash-3.2$ ./ape.exe -text "John walks."
ERROR: Illegal argument: arglist_namevaluelist/2: John walks.

The only thing I have found that works for me so far is to fire up
swipl, and load runape.pl, and then type in John walks.

Look forward to exploring the tool...

Best,
Vijay