[Attempto] Controlled Natural Language for Legal Texts

John J. Camilleri john.j.camilleri at cse.gu.se
Tue Oct 6 11:01:10 CEST 2015

Hello all,

I am joining this conversation late as I was not on the Attempto mailing
list until now. I would just like to point to some of our own work since we
are active in this area too. We have worked on two CNLs for legal texts,
focusing on normative contracts. Both are described in separate chapters of
my upcoming licentiate thesis (details here
<https://gup.ub.gu.se/publication/222958-analysing-normative-contracts> and
PDF here <http://academic.johnjcamilleri.com/papers/licentiate2015.pdf>).

One CNL is designed for the contract logic CL (chapter 2), and the other
for the C-O Diagram formalism (chapter 3). Admittedly both CNLs were
designed to closely match the abstract syntax of their respective
formalisms, rather than to have a wide coverage or generic use, but you may
still find them relevant. We plan to develop this CNL for normative
contracts further during the remainder of my PhD.

Best regards,
John

--
John J. Camilleri