[Attempto] How to execute queries

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sun Apr 17 20:36:04 CEST 2016

> On 17 Apr 2016, at 18:48 , Eckart Bindewald <bindewald at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello:
> my apologies for the beginner's question. I successfully installed the APE - ACE Parsing Engine on a Mac. I executed a variety of examples of parsing text using ape.exe. How can I now actually execute queries to obtain conclusions beyond parsing? For example for "John likes Mary. Who likes Mary?" , I would like the result "John". For  "John likes Mary. Who does John like?" I would expect the result "Mary".
> I saw a variety of examples in tests/test_owlswrl.pl , but I did not succeed in adapting those queries. Which interface should I use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eckart

Eckart

APE by itself is just what its name says, namely a parser for ACE that translates an ACE text into a Discourse Representation Structure (DRS). The DRS can be further translated into various other forms of logic, for instance FOL and OWL (see the "Menu" and "Help" buttons of APE's web-interface, or read APE's documentation). Thus APE does no reasoning.

There are, however, several reasoners for ACE.

1. RACE (attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/race) that you currently can only use remotely via its web-service or its web-interface (see the help text on the RACE web-site, or read RACE's documentation). RACE will actually do what you want as the following screen-shots of its web-interface show. Note that you enter the premises/axioms and the consequences/queries into different windows of the web-interface.

2. Since you were alluding to OWL, you could use two reasoners that are based on OWL, namely AceWiki and ACE View. See their descriptions on attempto.ifi.uzh.ch.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Norbert E. Fuchs
Department of Informatics & Institute of Computational Linguistics
University of Zurich