[Attempto] Workflow management and no-code apps creation

Igor Kryltsov kryltsov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:39:14 CET 2020

Hello,

I am trying to create a system that will allow users to create applications
to manage repeatable workflows (customer setup, employee onboarding,
supplier order, end of year accounting report, promo campaign).

For now, I will stick with NL wizards where a user will be guided through a
series of questions with predefined answers. Ideally, I want to allow users
to use blueprints in ACE to describe their applications, load them into the
system, get it immediately tested, correct ACE, and repeat until
the desired result is received. No-code apps creation without a
conventional approach of starting with spreadsheets concept used by
AppSheets, Honeycode, or AirTable.

This is not ACE yet but an attempt to speak in it (sort of)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NYr59C939MWet6YgSHl5Gfc19-CxWXoIBFikYCUChGM/edit?usp=sharing

Since my system is only about workflow management, users will not need to
describe such a concept as dependencies and it will use a much smaller
dialect that will probably be guided to be created with plenty of use cases
already written in ACE to load and try.

I have a few questions

- do you see anything in my writing that will not be possible to express in
ACE

- can ACE and APE be used in commercial projects under GNU? I see the
license here (
https://github.com/Attempto/APE/commit/72c6ab255949c5cbb0e3b8b9d37acff993376bcb).
Does it apply to ACE too?

- When I say 'A lesson is a recurring workflow' I basically want to build
an application called 'Lessons' and need to refer to 'lesson' as a single
unit. An application called 'Lessons' will have multiple instances of
'lesson'. Since these are common English words how do I do about properly
defining them?

I see http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ace_constructionrules.html
(Proper Names) but no example of how to make definitions of not proper
concepts so to speak.

Will using http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/race/ be the best way to iterate and
learn ACE?

Right now I have:

Lessons is an application. A lesson contains a name, a planned start date,
a Google Drive folder, and a n:workflow.

and it returns 2 errors. Here is another attempt:

Lessons_1 is an application.  A lesson is part of Lessons_1. Lessons_1 can
contains lessons. A lesson has a property called 'Name'. A lesson has a
property 'Planned start date'. A lesson has a property Google Drive folder.
A lesson has a property n:workflow. 'Planned start date' is a date. Google
drive folder is URL.

If you can recommend any paper that contains a more relevant dictionary for
my use case I would truly appreciate it.

Please feel free to leave comments on my Google Doc

Thank you
Igor
https://www.linkedin.com/in/igorkryltsov/