[Attempto] Categories in the ACE lexicon

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 12:27:05 CET 2022

Hi,

the spec also contains "formulas" like:

    tv_finsg(ThirdSgForm, LogicalSymbol).
    tv_infpl(InfForm, LogicalSymbol).
    tv_pp(PastPartForm, LogicalSymbol).

linking e.g. "finsg" to "ThirdSgForm" etc. I agree that it would be
more clear to avoid such duplicate names (they are not used in the
source code, see
https://github.com/Attempto/APE/tree/master/prolog/lexicon), and be
explicit about the linguistic theory, which is something like: (in
ACE) the syntactic categories of "infinitive" and "plural" use the
same morphological form, e.g. the sentences "John wants to run." and
"At least 2 men run." both use the form "run".
I don't remember the decisions on the naming conventions, and some of
it pre-dates my involvement (i.e. pre 2004). The original lexicon was
based on the work:

Alexandra Bünzli. AceLex — Lexikon für Ace, 2004. Diploma Thesis.
Faculty of Arts, University of Zurich.
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/lizarbeit_ABuenzli.pdf

But I think it was simplified later and names somewhat changed.

Best,
Kaarel