[Attempto] Categories in the ACE lexicon

Jörg Preisendörfer hallo at joerg-preisendoerfer.de
Tue Mar 15 13:33:30 CET 2022

Hej Kaarel,

I see that sections 12.9 to 12.11 of the ACE Syntax Report 6.7 also
offer some honey regarding that question. The boxes* there allude to how
the morphological forms are disambiguated into lexical units.

*) [I don't call the boxes 'rules', because some boxes in the Syntax
Report contain more than one production, and my guesswork is that when
several productions occure in a single box of the Syntax Report, the box
is essentially to be interpreted as a disjunction of the productions
contained.]

Since I'm in the process of implementing ACE in another programming
language's sociotope and am seeking to come up with a reasonable data
model, I wonder what the name of a common superclass of the ACE lexical
classes as layed out in the ACE Lexicon Specification could be, such
that neither linguists nor software engineers are tempted to shed tears?

Since 'finsg' and 'infpl' each represent equal morphological forms of
distinct lexical units, I assume that 'lexical unit' is not an entirely
matching descriptive name for such a superclass.

What do you think?

Bests

-- J.