[Attempto] AceView OWL write/save error

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:45:50 CEST 2009

Hi Tabby,

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 17:09,  <tabbylemlemu at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Hi Kaarel - We are using Protégé 4.0 and ACE View 1.2.20. Attached are two ontologies. They are exactly the same except the first one is corrupted as a result of saving it while ACE View is activated and the second one is still good. To reproduce the issue, you can save the good one while ACE View is activated then try open it again and you will see the issue. Thanks for looking into this and please let me know if you need more information.

I've tried both ontologies,

bad: https://lists.ifi.uzh.ch/pipermail/attempto/attachments/20091013/e2e6fe1e/attachment-0002.obj
good:
https://lists.ifi.uzh.ch/pipermail/attempto/attachments/20091013/e2e6fe1e/attachment-0003.obj

with the OWL 2 Validator (http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/validator/),
checking the OWL 2 DL profile.
Both were parsed successfully and are in the OWL 2 DL language. Note
that this validator
uses the OWL API Version 3.0.0.1272.

Protege 4.0.113 uses the OWL-API version 2.2.1.1138, i.e. a somewhat
older version.
I can confirm that after saving the "good" ontology, it cannot be loaded anymore
as the OWL-API RDF parser fails (the line number is unfortunately not reported).

So my hope is that
the problem will go away once a new version of Protege comes out, given that
it includes a new version of OWL API.

Until then, the work-around would be to save into XML (rather than RDF/XML).
Opening the "good" ontology that was saved as XML seemed to work.
You could also try other formats that the OWL-API supports, e.g.
functional syntax
and Manchester syntax. I'm not sure though which one of these has the most
mature support in terms of round-tripping (i.e. opening and saving
without corruption
or loss of data).

hope this helps a bit,
kaarel