[Attempto] News from EulerGUI; Ace and Ace View ontologies repository

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 10:33:52 CEST 2010

2010/4/6 Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 14:45, Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > To adapt our EulerGUI [1] rule framework to Ace View, I wrote a
> translator
> > [2] from SWRL to N3 logic [3] .
>
> Unfortunately, I failed to open these links now:
>
> An Exception Has Occurred
> trunk/eulergui/documentation.html: unknown location
> HTTP Response Status
> 404 Not Found

Sorry, my mistake:

[1] EulerGUI
http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html
[2] SWRL to N3 logic
http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html#L2219

> > Since Ace View includes an ACE --> OWL+SWRL translator , this will allow
> us
> > to have this workflow:
> >
> > create an ontology in Protégé 4.0.X with Ace View
> > open this ontology in EulerGUI and translate SWRL rules to N3 logic
> > in EulerGUI reuse business rules in N3 logic plus the OWL ontology, for
> > application generation [4] and other software tasks
>
> This is interesting. Have you also thought about the other direction,
> i.e. communicating any changes in the N3 logic rules side back to the
> ACE side, i.e. verbalizing the N3 rules.

That's a very good suggestion.
 It seems that this could be realized by translating N3 logic rules into
SWRL.
There is a difficulty though, as N3 logic is more expressive than SWRL,
having existential qualifiers and "quoted graphs".
Maybe Jos has worked on a direct verbalizer for N3 rules. Or maybe it's a
verbalizer for the proofs produced by an Euler run...

> Now to test this workflow, I would like to have a corpus of Ace or Ace
> View
> > texts.
> > I found no evidence of that on the Ace site.
>
> Yes, in the Attempto project we have not so far put together
> such a corpus. I agree that it would be nice and important to have it.
>
> At the moment, the only things that I can think of are:
>
> * The examples on the ACE View page (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/),

I have tried them all, but curiously none of them has any rule, or at least
Protégé does not show any after loading the ACE text.

> * The content of the AceWiki demo instances found on
> http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/acewiki/. Use the "Export..." function to
> access
> the plain text representation of the wikis.

I did that. Again, none of them has any rule.
It's clear that OWL is expressive enough to capture the large majority of
controlled language snippets.
But how would you characterize the snippets that are translated to SWRL ? In
general, in the publications, there is little details on SWRL.

As side note, for the Geo ontology, the snippet
If X borders Y then Y borders X.
is translated as
border subPropertyOf inv(border)
I would have expected border to be a symmetric property.

We also have a regression test set for the ACE parser (> 3500 ACE snippets)
> which can be made public I think, but this is probably not what you want as
> most sentences there are not rule-like, most are not ACE View compatible,
> and many even contain syntax errors
> as the goal of it is to test all aspects of the parser.

To make it  public would be good, but something ACE View compatible is
wished.
How do you test the regressions for the ACE ==> OWL+SWRL ?
There must be some SWRL cases there.

Greetings from Versailles.
JMV

--