[Attempto] or is interpreted as inclusive or , or xor?

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 16:53:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 06:16, Gabriele Kahlout
<gabriele at mysimpatico.com> wrote:

> More precisely, should ACE be used for personal communications using
> the pronoun I, how easy would it be to change APE to accept the new
> construct?

It seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard as the pronoun 'I' seems to
act like a proper name. So one could model the support after the current
support for proper names.

You could even hack a partial support by just extending your user lexicon,
e.g. add:

pn_pl('I', 'I', masc).
pn_sg(mine, 'I', masc).
pn_sg(myself, 'I', masc).

to be able to parse:

I like Mary. John is a friend of mine. I like myself.

into:

$ ./ape.exe -ulextext "pn_pl('I', 'I', masc). pn_sg(mine, 'I', masc).
pn_sg(myself, 'I', masc)." -text "I like Mary. John is a friend of
mine. I like myself." -solo drspp

[A, B, C, D]
predicate(A, like, named(I), named(Mary))-1/2
object(B, friend, countable, na, eq, 1)-2/4
relation(B, of, named(I))-2/5
predicate(C, be, named(John), B)-2/2
predicate(D, like, named(I), named(I))-3/2

Now, when manipulating this DRS, you can map named('I') to whatever
individual you want, e.g. yourself.

This solution accepts some incorrect English, e.g.

John likes myself.
I's dog is Fido.

and does not accept some correct English, e.g.:

I am not rich.
My dog is Fido.

To get these working correctly one needs to modify the grammar...

I think it would be useful if ACE/APE supported 'I', then
one could use ACE e.g. to communicate to his/her iPhone and Facebook
notions like "my friends and followers", "my location", etc.

--
kaarel