[Attempto] Strange behaviour of APE

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:52:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 18:48, Pierre-Alexandre Voye
<ontologiae at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I experience a strange behaviour of APE : it fails depending of the
> type of output :

Yes, APE can fail depending on the type of the output and this is
perfectly normal. Some output types cover only a fragment of ACE, e.g.
while the PNF output covers the complete ACE language, the OWL output
cannot handle certain constructions (e.g. NP conjunction, modality,
adverbs, etc.). This is partly due to the semantic expressibility the
OWL language and partly due to the design decisions made in the
ACE->OWL converter.

> ./ape.exe -text "AuthoredContent contains a title and a date and an author
> and a content and a grade and a tree." -guess -cowlfsspp

>     <message
>         importance="warning"
>         type="word"
>         sentence="1"
>         token="1"
>         value="AuthoredContent"
>         repair="Undefined word. Interpreted as a singular proper name."/>

This is a harmless warning which will go away if you put the
propername AuthoredContent into your user lexicon.

>     <message
>         importance="error"
>         type="owl"
>         sentence="1"
>         token=""
>         value="and"
>         repair="Noun phrase conjunctions not supported."/>

This is an error message which can only be generated if you try to
convert into OWL. It says that noun phrase conjunctions like "a title
and a date" are not supported by the ACE->OWL converter. To make your
statement work, you can maybe rephrase your sentence as:

    AuthoredContent contains a title and contains a date and contains
an author and contains a content and contains a grade and contains a
tree.

or maybe you actually mean:

    Every authored-content contains a title and contains a date and
contains an author and contains a content and contains a grade and
contains a tree.

>     <message
>         importance="error"
>         type="owl"
>         sentence="1"
>         token="2"
>         value="contain"
>         repair="Subject or object of this verb makes an illegal
> reference."/>

This is again an OWL-specific message. It is generated in cases where
the input sentence contains anaphoric references which cannot be
mapped to OWL. Your sentence does not contain any anaphoric
references, so it is a sort of a bug that this message is output here.

--
kaarel