[Attempto] Problem with Protege 5 and Aceview

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:25:47 CET 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:01 AM, luke wallace <lukewallace1990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I loaded the "countries" example and I have guessing and clex enabled as is
> the default.

Having "Clex" and "guessing " enabled is more for quick demos. For
more consistent/predictable behavior it's better to disable them.

> It took 80 seconds and 107 snippets failed.

ACE View uses two services (ACE->OWL/SWRL and OWL->ACE). By default,
it calls the Attempto server for these services. For faster results,
it's better to install them locally. How to do that is described at
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/

> They all seem to have the same
> error, things like
> "Which EU-country is not a NATO-country ?" break unless I put a n:EU-Country
> and n:NATO-country into the syntax. I noticed on the webpage talking about
> the countries example in protege, they didn't need to do this workaround and
> it still worked. How did they achieve this? is there some noun-definition
> list I can import?

The web page says: ""Note that one should first load the vocabulary
countries_base.owl before the ACE text can be parsed.""
I.e. try to load first
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/examples/countries_base.owl before
entering any ACE sentences. In general, describe your vocabulary in
such an OWL file using annotation properties, and do not rely on clex
and guessing.

I haven't used ACE View with Protege 5 much, so there might be other issues.

Best,
Kaarel