[Attempto] Workflow management and no-code apps creation

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:29:32 CET 2021

Hi,

answering some questions which were maybe not answered yet:

I think it makes sense to install the commandline version of APE
(https://github.com/Attempto/APE). It has at least the following
benefits:

- you can specify your (base) user lexicon at compile time, which is a
bit faster (depending on the size of the lexicon)
- you can run an HTTP server locally and use it from your favourite
programing language however your like (there is special support for
Prolog and Java, of course), rather than playing with the web
interface
- using the Protege plugin (I assume you're using
https://github.com/Kaljurand/aceview/releases/tag/v2.0.0-alpha,
because older versions do not work with the latest Protege) means that
you are also getting OWL-related warnings/errors (because only a
subset of ACE is supported by the plugin), which might be confusing

Regarding modelling, you could also try OWL-based modelling (and the
corresponding ACE subset). That means that everything must be a class,
2-ary property, or an individual, e.g.:

- Every lesson contains at least 1 task. (i.e. "lesson" and "task" are
classes, i.e. sets of individuals, and "contains" is a property)
- Lesson1 is a lesson. ("Lesson1" is an individual, here a member of
the class "lesson")

It also means that you need to be explicit about Open World Assumption
and Unique Names Assumption. For example the statement "A task should
have status – ‘not started’, ‘started’ or ‘completed’." must be made
more explicit which ends up being quite verbose:

Every task contains exactly 1 task-status.
No task is a task-status.
Every task-status is NotStarted or is Started or is Completed.
If something is NotStarted or is Started or is Completed then it is a
task-status.
NotStarted is not Started.
Started is not Completed.
Completed is not NotStarted.

Of course some of the complexity can be hidden from the end user (e.g.
AceWiki asserts the uniqueness of individuals behind the scenes).

In the end what is important is what kind of reasoning (or querying)
services do you want to offer to the end user.

Best,
Kaarel